Tuesday 23 April 2019

Gospel Meeting 21/04/2019


Job ch19 vs23 – 27
John’s Gospel ch20 vs1 – 16

Job’s words are most remarkable when we consider the time of their writing.
It is widely acknowledged to be the oldest book in the Bible, yet he speaks of the coming Messiah – Jesus Christ, his Redeemer, ever so long before it came to be!

He speak of his Redeemer with absolute confidence, that it is a certainty –
 “ For I KNOW that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth…”

Dear reader, how is your confidence in having the eternal penalty of your own sins paid for?
Have you put your faith personally in Jesus Christ? 
Can you call Him “MY Redeemer”?

Despite Job’s body decaying and dying, he knows he is going to see God.
He had full trust that his own body would be revived and resurrected one day.

His Redeemer would pay the full price of his sins, for him to know and see God!
His heart was yearning for this -  and so too should ours!

The Lord Jesus Christ is the only Redeemer, mankind’s only means of Salvation.
The sinless Son of God took all our sins upon Himself at the Cross, and took our punishment that we can be forgiven and have eternal life.

Despite Job’s appalling condition, his faith remained steadfast…
“His wife said to him, “Are you still maintaining your integrity? Curse God and die!” He replied, “You are talking like a foolish woman. Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?” In all this, Job did not sin in what he said"
- Job ch2 vs9 – 10

There were many things Job did not know or understand, but he loved God and fully trusted Him. He was striving to live a holy life that was pleasing to God – and God had faith in Job!

How is our faith, when the storms of life come upon us?

Job had great contentment in knowing his eternal life was completely assured.
“…yet in my flesh shall I see God: Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another…”
He had rightful grounds of utter confidence in His coming Saviour!

“…because I live, ye shall live also”
Jesus Christ speaking from John’s Gospel ch14 vs19

“Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also”
- John’s Gospel ch14 vs1 – 3

What certainties and reassurances are in the words of The Lord Jesus Christ!

I know that my Redeemer lives!
What joy this blest assurance gives!
He lives, he lives, who once was dead;
he lives, my ever-living Head!

He lives to bless me with his love;
He lives to plead for me above;
He lives my hungry soul to feed;
He lives to help in time of need.

He lives, and grants me daily breath,
He lives, and I shall conquer death,
He lives, my mansion to prepare,
He lives, to lead me safely there.

He lives, all glory to his name!
He lives, my Saviour, still the same;
What joy this blest assurance gives:
I know that my Redeemer lives!

(Hymn by Samuel Medley)

No comments:

Post a Comment